Thursday 26 February 2015

A Drive to Pune with my Adorable Little Brat!

The other day I traveled to Pune and back with the brat. It is a journey I have done umpteen times before, but this one was unnerving because a) it was the first time I was doing it on my ownsome lonesome and b) I was traveling not by car but by an AC bus with a baby car seat still attached to my little brat. Call me chicken, come on, I dare you.

As is the norm with me, worst case scenarios always present themselves in slide show format in my mind before I undertake any such acts of bravery. At the last minute, I almost called off the trip, but then steeled my heart and ventured forth.

The brat, thank the Lord, is a much better behaved child than he used to be; I still remember with horror the flight back from Bangalore, which was delayed interminably and all I remember is running around the old Bangalore terminal in circles trying to keep sight of the brat! This time, I could take the risk of hoping that the brat sat peaceably in a single seat for the duration of the journey, four to five hours, without having me pluck out each strand of hair from my head in frustration.

I was also a wee bit worried because the brat has been known to suffer from motion sickness. I have unpleasant memories of drives to Goa, when the entire contents of his stomach were heaved into every corner of the car, my clothes and my hair. I debated about giving him Avomine before the journey, but decided against it – I didn’t want him drowsy and sleepy through the journey.

I would not mention the V word, and instead treat the trip like one big adventure. And so we did. It was a mamma and brat adventure; waiting for the bus at the pickup point, keeping him in charge of the bags (all of two), having him find the seats in the bus, making him count the red cars on the road, giving him a Rubik’s cube to keep him occupied, pointing out hotspots like the DY Patil cricket stadium (known to him courtesy IPL), and not letting him eat anything through the journey.

We made it safe and sound to Pune and back. I really had to be amazed at the sturdiness of the baby car seat that I bought online. If you guys are interested to buy baby car seats, contact me and I will give you the list of best brands available. The boy helped me with the luggage, behaved himself, managed to keep himself entertained, and slept a fair bit of the way. Could it be, shudder, shudder, that the child has actually grown up?

No comments:

Post a Comment